Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Congratulations Paul "BIM" Ogunyemi

After the MLS Superdraft I had the pleasure of congratulating Jarad from the University of Portland on being drafted by Real Salt Lake. Today marks another significant day for a former Portland Timber U-23, as Paul Ogunyemi was selected 17th in the Supplemental Draft by FC Dallas. He goes by the name of BIM, and he is a bright young talent. I had the opportunity to watch about 12 games played by the U-23s this summer during my internship, and Bim was an integral part of the squad.

Bim played primarily on the wings for the PDL Timbers. He is extremely confident running at defenders and he plays with a patience that lulls his opponents to sleep. His physical strength is one of his biggest assets. While he is not a towering midfielder, he is able to hold the ball up with his back to goal with ease. I remember watching defenders literally drape themselves over his body, and Bim was strong enough to hold his ground. Bim plays with swagger and puts his heart and soul into every game. He is a unique player, and quickly became a fan favorite of the Timbers Army. Bim started all 20 games for the perfect 20-0 Timbers, and he finished with 3 goals and 6 assists in the regular season (16 games). In the playoffs he had a perfect cross to Tracy Hasson in the PDL Championship for the opening goal, and he scored a goal of his own in the Semifinal against Reading United.

I'm very proud of Bim and I hope he has a great career in Dallas. Ultimately, he still needs to attend pre-season training camp and earn his spot on the roster, but I am confident he will impress. I can honestly say I have never seen a player like Bim. He plays with a style unlike any other, and I was lucky to have witnessed it this summer. Congratulations Bim!

No comments:

Post a Comment